Friday, February 3, 2017

Getting to work

As well as being a professional Dad while in Mexico (see my previous post), thanks to Noam's very willing grandparents I have quite a bit of time each day to put to other use.

During the first few weeks here I often accompanied my wife to various cafés for a couple of hours a day (mostly we tried and failed to avoid Starbucks), where she would sit and work on post-doctoral applications--she recently completed a PhD in economic history--and I would try to figure out what to do with my spare time while devouring my absolute favourite new treat: a bisquet with strawberry jam.

A bisquet - something like a scone for fellow Brits, but not exactly the same
(some people seem to feel very strongly about this)

I eventually came up with a bisquet-crumb covered list of possibilities of varying degrees of plausibility, from the reasonable (learn something new by taking a distance course) to the unlikely (make millions as a professional online poker player). Stewing over my choices one morning while out walking with the pram, it hit me suddenly that what I really want to do is write something. As I have the imagination of, uhh, something with really bad imagination, any kind of fiction writing was obviously out the question. Eventually I settled on, you guessed it, writing a blog about my time in Mexico.

As well as filling a little time here and there with something I find highly enjoyable, I hope this blog will keep friends and family who are interested up-to-date with our lives in Mexico, and serve as a souvenir of our time here that one day Noam can look up and dream about the way life was.

No comments:

Post a Comment